It is never easy to go through the process of selling the family farm or estate. Sibling rivalry, economic disparity between heirs, and many other factors can play a hand in making things difficult. Though it can seem silly, it has helped a lot of families to abide by the following ground rules:
- Everybody must take turns talking. Alternating between birth order and reverse birth order is a fair way to allow comments.
- Only discuss items on the agenda during each discussion. Nobody is allowed to refer to some previous wrong-doing or action.
- No profanity or personal insults. Violating this rule will have predetermined consequences.
- References to others’ finances are not allowed.
- No assigning blame to anybody for anything.